Sunday, August 15, 2010

Initial Comments on Summer Reading

After reading The Handmaid's Tale, I questioned the ending. My initial thought was that Offred escaped with Nick and was taken to the resistance group so she could fight the government that made her a handmaid. But, after thinking it over, I realized that the ending was never clear on what happened exactly. Offred could possibly have been put in the hands of the "Eyes." It's uncertain which of these actually took place, but I believe that she was brought to the resistance. Overall, I found the futuristic setting of the book quite intriguing.

After reading the novel 1984, it left me with a few questions. First, I wondered if the "Brotherhood" they spoke of was real, or if the "Party" made it to catch those who committed "thoughtcrime." Then, I wondered if  O'Brien, before he was a member of the party that help catch the disloyal, was someone who opposed the party and was caught and tortured into being a follower of "Big Brother" like Winston was. Nevertheless, the novel took me by surprise when we found out that O'Brien was a fake. 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale  are closely related because they both describe a future with an extreme governmental power.

No comments:

Post a Comment